Artist Talk: Terri Warpinski, David Graham, a newARTSpace

 I must say that Terri Warpinski's photography and artworks inspired my project in this class(new media in art). Her huge photos include 6 small photos, but all form a big photo and show a topic in general. Also, her photo book is so creative. Her creative ideas for showing her photography really inspire me. 


I'm not sure if I get the right thing, but I think I hear that Terri identified as an artist when she was at the age of 3. I think it corresponds to McLuhan's discussion about amateur. “The amateur can afford to lose. The professional tends to classify and to specialize, to accept uncritically the groundrules of the environment” (McLuhan, 93). When she was very young, she started doing some art, and that started her love for art. It was probably the raw, uninhibited creativity of her childhood that kept her pursuit and love of art.


I really love Terri Warpinski's photography, especially the piece from the series fragments: winter solstice, sunrise/Moonset Zabriskie Point, 1989. There are six pictures in this huge photo. I also search for the scale of this photo, it is 28″ × 40″, which is large for me. Also, I think it is also the charm of the splicing picture. Most of the works in Terri's Introduction to Fragments series have to do with the passage of time, telling the story of time being evidenced in some form or another. The photographs that make up this work (six in total) were taken within 20 minutes of the full moon setting and the sun rising. This probably means that one side of the sun, the earth, sets in the west and rises on the other side, the east.


Moonset/Sunrise


I also really love her photo book surface tension. The whole orginzariton of the book is creative, which doesn't in the format of the traditional book, and the pictures are placed in a different way. I used some super big photos, such as placing them on two pages and cutting them into small pieces, in my photo book design. Before, I'm still a little not sure about the output of these random organizations, but now I feel they may look good. Terri's surface tension photo book places the photo and pages differently and illustrates the topic pretty well, which reminds me of being creative. The cover of the photobook is like a mountain, which can stand on the table. 


Surface Tension

Comments

  1. Sometimes our stereotypes of thinking can give us a lot of limitations as a piece can only be presented that way. What you said is also an inspiration to mine, we need to think more often, think about artistic expression.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment