Final Project: A Goodbye

This installation, titled "A Goodbye," is a heartfelt photo collection that encapsulates my journey and the indelible memories forged at Lawrence. As I prepare to farewell to this chapter of my life, I am drawn to record the essence of what has made my time here so unforgettable. Photos are all my great memories and the beautiful scenes I treasure. (I didn't choose to use "farewell" as the name of the project because I feel it is a little too formal. I want an easy way to say it.)


A general view of the project

Not only the beautiful nature are indelible memories, but “you” (people I met here) are also an important part of my best memories. So, I added some mirrors here, and people also can see themselves here. I also add mirrors in different places. Here's one where you can see the feet instead of the face. This is because it is connected with the photo above. The mirror above is about footprints in the snow, so the scene in the mirror is somehow the "answer" to the photo. 



The evolution of my time at Lawrence is metaphorically captured through the lifecycle of a butterfly—a narrative thread that weaves through the collection. My initial days were filled with the wide-eyed wonder of exploration, akin to a caterpillar's eager movements. This enthusiasm gradually gave way to a period of introspection and stillness, reminiscent of the pupa stage, where the excitement of newness faded into contemplation. Finally, this phase blossomed into a deep-seated appreciation for the quiet beauty and peace that this area embodies, mirroring the transformative emergence of a butterfly.


Tinfoil butterflies making table & butterflies on the photo


I also made a contrast between the poster and the project: a black and white poster will make people feel sad and a little depressed, while the photos there are all bright and vivid. 

poster for the project



Another interesting thing that I hadn't thought about before: someone put a butterfly on the mirror.



Comments

  1. IM GONNA MISS YOU <3, I loved this final work and I am so happy you made participation so fun. From the making of butterflies to letting us take pieces, Everything was perfect to me. You are amazing and this installation displays this !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment